Since separating from the neighbouring hamlet of New Hutton in 1297, Old Hutton has prospered as a small settlement where farming communities have thrived for centuries and tourism is now providing additional trade for the area.
Old Hutton is home to a lovely little church, St John Baptist's Church, which was built in 1873 and has three beautiful examples of stained glass. The church sits on a site that has been used for religious purposes for many centuries and the locals are rightly proud of their wonderfully well maintained place of worship.
Other buildings of interest in Old Hutton include the 15th Century Blease Hall, which was home to a chantry priest when it was built in c1450. The building became a hall when it came into the possession of a Kendal cloth seller called Roger Bateman, who sold the Kendal Green cloth that was used for soldiers' uniforms. He turned Bease Hall into the H-shaped building it is today.
Old Hutton is a lovely place to take a short or extended break, with the ample facilities of Kendal just three miles away.