In the far north of the Furness peninsula stands the historic town of Broughton-in-Furness, which was considered to be part of Lancashire right up until the mid-1970s.
Nowadays, it's very much a Cumbrian town situated on the southern fringes of the Lake District National Park that's in what's commonly referred to as part of `Undiscovered Lakeland'. Visit Broughton-in-Furness, which has a wide selection of pleasant Cumbrian cottages nearby, and the first thing you'll notice is the Georgian market square with a large obelisk in the middle that was erected to mark the Golden Jubilee of King George III back in 1810.
The old town hall now houses the tourist information centre and all around the square are reminders of the town's past, including a set of stocks and a couple of slate fish slabs. Fans of real ale may like to know that the Manor Arms right in the centre of Broughton-in-Furness was crowned the Cumbria CAMRA pub of the year in 2008.
There are thought to be around 50 stone circles in Cumbria and one of the most significant circles can be found nearby. Swinside Stone Circle is comprised of over 50 stones with a 90ft diameter and taking a walk up Black Combe fell to see it is definitely advisable.
The River Duddon close to Broughton-in-Furness is also a popular spot with mountain bikers and walkers as the Cumbria Cycle Way and Cumbria Coastal Way both pass through the area.